Image from page 118 of “Old Boston taverns and tavern groups” (1917)
Image by online Archive Book Images
Title: Old Boston taverns and tavern clubs
12 Months: 1917 (1910s)
Authors: Drake, Samuel Adams, 1833-1905 Watkins, Walter Kendall, 1855-1934
Subjects: Taverns (Inns) — Massachusetts Boston Clubs — Massachusetts Boston Boston (Size.) — personal life and customs
Publisher: Boston, W. A. Butterfield
Adding Library: New York Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN
Click the link to view guide on the web to see this illustration in context in a browseable online form of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
ase, and inside isstill to be noticed the cylindrical bit of iron which,when heated, kept the delectable liquid articles of theurn hot until imbibed by the frequenters for the tavern.The Green Dragon Tavern site, today occupied by abusiness framework, is OAvned by the St. Andrews Lodgeof complimentary Masons of Boston, at a recent gathering ofthe Lodge on St. Andrews Day the urn was exhibitedto the assembled brethren. When the contents of tavern had been sold, the urnwas purchased by Mrs. Elizabeth Harrington, who thenkept a famous boarding household on Pearl Street, in abuilding had because of the Q.uincy family members. In 1847 thehouse was razed and changed by the Quincy Block,and Mrs. Harrington eliminated to High Street andfrom truth be told there to Chauncey Place. A few of the prominentmen of Boston boarded together with her for quite some time. Ather demise the urn was presented with to the woman daughter, Mrs.John R. Bradford, and contains now been provided tothe Society by Miss Phebe C. Bradford of Boston,granddaughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Harrington. 88
Text Appearing After-image:
SCHOOU Q5.J^^^^^) ST JW2 6Jithcrtorx, ffoJUL^h, Q POP455OO n BQ <5 n« Mo o-o w ID ID &J_ 0 o m aId M 02 a 0)(QID a. ID-»3« O ■oa J IDO o oo MEH <1 oo C5Z M o w OS +343 oQ CompUje.dL by Qeorqe, l,<xmo, tfi THE BRAND NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY A3TOR, LrrOXilLDilN FOUNDATIONS IX. THE HANCOCK TAVERN. As a classic landmark the Hancock Tavern is a failure.There had not been an old window in the house ; the nailswere Bridgewater fingernails, the timbers were mill-sawed,and leading from it was of face stone, which were notmade even yet in 1800. At the time of the Revolution itwas simply a four-room dwelling household of twelve win-dows, and also the first license ever directed at it as an innwas in 1790. The building recently demolished waserected during the years 1807 to 1812. Using the preceding words, Edward W. McGlenen, cityregistrar, effectually settled the question Summer 3,1903, ata conference regarding the brand new The united kingdomt Historic GenealogicalSociety, regarding the widely credited report that it was inthe Hancock Tavern^ which fo
Note About Photos
Take note that these pictures tend to be extracted from scanned page pictures which will have already been digitally improved for readability – color and look among these illustrations may not completely resemble the first work.